No Day But Today!

Come here to discuss Constantine, and help find ways to promote his career in a positive manner.
Murfreesboro
The Voice of Reason

Re: No Day But Today!

Postby Murfreesboro » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:36 am

Happy 2018 to all!

conssrtfan
Theatre Ho

Postby conssrtfan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:44 am

The festival was announced last summer. I think some have tx already. I didn’t jump on it. Atlantic City ... yuk.
And I could only go on Saturday due to work, so I think it’s a no go.
Last edited by conssrtfan on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mimi
#trrrrubble

Postby Mimi » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:45 pm

Well, as long as the weather is good, I'm going to go to Detroit. Erie, PA is currently under 5 feet of snow. Yay for dates!

tweetypi137
State Bird of North Carolina

Postby tweetypi137 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:51 pm

Otters = OTRs, fans of that music festival.

Sounds like fun, hope y'all get to go!

blondie1310

Postby blondie1310 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:01 pm

Check the schedule for this weekend for Bulldozer "The Ballad of Robert Moses"

https://web.ovationtix.com/trs/cal/34958

Mystic
Resident Artist

Postby Mystic » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:40 pm

Happy New Year!

Attended Bulldozer the weekend before Christmas and just getting around to posting my thoughts on it now. If anyone has not attended yet be aware that this does have some spoilers in it as I try to remember things from the show. The theater is located on the 2nd floor of a church close to midtown. Due to the elevated seating and size of the venue all seats seem to offer a good view of the stage although my own viewpoint was kept pretty consistent for obvious reasons. The set consists of a bunch of scaffolding - some of it mobile, and some complicated light rigging that at times catches Moses in the headlights of the traffic he helped to create. It pairs well with it being a story about a man involved in the building up of New York. I just hold my breath at times hoping the behind the scenes people remember to lock down the moving pieces that he is sometimes sprinting up and down. There is also an on stage band housed under the scaffolding in the back. Was pouring snow on Friday night when I first went but the audience filled in more as the weekend progressed.

I had front row for all three shows I attended, because when Constantine is involved is there ever really anywhere else to be? No such thing as too close and after more than a decade we're all friends by now, right? Seats AA10 and AA12 were particularly good if you are interested in that sorta thing. In seat AA10 he does a scene sitting on the stairs with Rockefeller where they are flying a plane together. There he is seated inches from me holding a steering wheel out in front of my face and staring deeply into my eyes. We are on a direct collision course and I feel like a bird about to get sucked into his jet engine. Would have been funny if I had some of those xmas reindeer antlers with to whip out and put on while he was holding the wheel out. Seat AA12 places him almost in your lap later on in the show as he perches on the fourth wall/edge of the stage at a community meeting. It is like sitting at one of those little bistro tables with him only the table is missing and there is no pressure to make witty conversation.

When the show opens his character is a broken down old man in a robe with a blanket tossed across his lap. He is alone, drawn far into himself and watching his hands closely they tremble. The radio in his apartment announces the traffic report for the day and an advertisement for clam chowder. After a reflective intro of 'Straight Towards the Sun' the story turns back on his younger days when he was full of hope and ambition / a vision for NY. The young Robert Moses aspires to be important - at times with a humorous 'fake it til you make it' mentality - doing stuff like pretending to be his own secretary and name dropping whenever possible. During the show he teams up with Rockefeller who is also focused on transforming NY. At first the relationship starts out as amicable with what appears to be shared goals, however Rockefeller veers away from him as the show progresses and Moses shows little regard for the human costs of his development and a growing hunger for the spotlight. In one number during the second part of the show "You'll Do It My Way" they exchange a bunch of Trump-like handshakes. Rockefeller eventually becomes governor and tries to push Moses out.

His love interest Vera stands with him throughout the first part of the show despite his obsession with work. Their bed is covered in maps and he is reluctant to go out anywhere with her. Seeing that the bed on the set seems to be about 3 feet long I guess it is a good thing to cover it in maps as it would be humorous to see him try to get into it with those long legs. They have a couple good numbers together including "Fresh Cut Flowers and Cigarettes" which is a catchy tune they have upon meeting for the first time where she is selling items to people dining out. During this number he winds up whistling and does a cute little dance to go along with it. It is fun but probably makes him feel just a bit silly. "When the World Isn't Watching" is also a romantic power ballad and gives him a chance to really shine and show a more vulnerable side of Robert Moses. He gets a chance to repeat some of those dance moves in 'Everybody's Got Something to Hide' in which he threatens to blackmail a guy who works for him because evictions are not happening on schedule.

Throughout the show a 'street musician' appears at times to advance along scene changes. He also covers the roles of any other minor male characters in the show. At one point he becomes a heckler and it is funny to hear him razz Constantine's character about not liking baseball.

The show is very different of course but has some elements of the Rock of Ages story line built into it. Instead of the strip being demolished this time it is Washington Square Park on the flyers that go out into the audience and Regina has been replaced by Jane Jacobs leading an opposition that leads to the undoing of Moses. Vera's conscience also causes her to break away from him at the end and stand with the people against demolition of neighborhoods that is occurring to make way for highways. At the end of the show he winds up alone and does a reprise of 'Straight Towards the Sun".

Overall it is a good show that incorporates some history of the city. Stage time is also good for Constantine as he is present approx 75% of the time. There is room though to develop the story line more and explore the relationships within it as the show only runs 90 minutes. They seem to have taken some stuff out after printing of the playbill as his mother does not appear. Always looking for new things to do on my visits to the city I paired this show with a behind the scenes historical tour of the Lincoln Center that Moses had as one of his projects during one of the mornings I had free. Rest of the trip was spent enjoying all the Christmastime things there are to do in New York.

Constantine was sweet after the shows as always and took time to speak with anyone who waited while the other actors rushed past. This cast doesn't seem particularly close and had to deal with a lot of setbacks as they were getting the show off the ground. There is a nice lobby to stand in so that you don't have to be out in the cold. Constantine had his hair down one night and it still looks fantastic and fluffy with the somewhat shorter cut. He also smells amazing and his hugs are intoxicating as ever. I never want to let go, but of course have to. So until next time. It is always a joy to travel to New York and get to see him.

bphoto1.jpg

bphoto2.jpg

bphoto3.jpg

bphoto4.jpg

bplaybill1.jpg

bplaybill2.jpg

bplaybill3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Murfreesboro
The Voice of Reason

Postby Murfreesboro » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Thanks for the recap and all those photos!

Jane
aka Slutember

Postby Jane » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:03 pm

Awesome recap; thanks, Mystic!

conssrtfan
Theatre Ho

Postby conssrtfan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:58 pm

I would go see that balladeer again in something else. Love his voice, a gorgeous baritone. I’m rather peeved with the show right now. I guess that’s what you get with amateurs at the helm. Must be so frustrating for the pro cast.

Jane
aka Slutember

Postby Jane » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:37 pm

Sorry, Sue. I hope C works with more experienced people in his future projects.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Great recap Mystic! Thanks! It's too bad about the show. I don't understand why they cancelled sold out shows. Makes no sense to me. I'm sorry for all who lost out, like you, Mimi :( I was lucky to get there once. I would of gone at least another time, if I didn't have to reschedule 3 times. Very annoying, although it was out of Con"s control.

On another note... Happy New Year!!! Let's hope for magical things for C this year!!!

blondie1310

Postby blondie1310 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:06 am

Thank You so much Mystic for the recap!

I was there on Dec 24th and Dec 26th for the matinees.

I looked at the audience sometimes to see their reaction to the performers, they looked focused and amused and they were totally into the story.

I also sat in the front row and also the second row to get another view. I noticed some people from the front row moved back maybe they were not able to see well, they were down the row too far.

One of the actor's Mothers came to the show she was from VA, I saw her and the actor and one of the other actresses talking in the lobby afterwards. I think the actors and actresses got along, they had to hurry out in between shows to eat before the evening performance like on Tuesday, Dec 24th.
Even though they were in a hurry they still stopped to say "Hi" to me quickly. I met the band members on Tuesday, they knew I was a diehard Constantine Fan. When "Vera" came out after the show she made sure to come over to me to say Hi. She was in a hurry but made sure to mingle.
The band must be looking at the audience and they must have recognized me from Sunday. Spoke to Peter Galperin. Told him I enjoyed the show so much I came back again to see another performance.

I really did enjoy watching Constantine whistle and dance in "Fresh Cut Flowers and Cigarettes" and dance with "Vera" in that romantic ballad "When the World Isn't Watching". He is going from one scaffold to another which are on different levels, and you can actually see his dress changes way off on the upper level when he has to wear a jacket.
He wears different wigs, one with no gray and another with gray to make him look older.

Memories of Rock Of Ages" when flyers were handed out by Jane Jacobs that said "Washington Square Park" for the opposition of demolishment.

He came out to greet me and his smile is just "Electric" it is so good to see him smile.
There were no other fans there when I was at the two matinees, I think there were fans there on Tuesday evening, I had gone to the matinee so I missed them. There is no intermission since it was just under two hours.

I am looking forward to the next project!!

conssrtfan
Theatre Ho

Postby conssrtfan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:18 am

Loved those two musical numbers as well. He was so completely wonderful in the role. I hope he gets to work with Kacie again, too, as they had marvelous chemistry onstage.
Opted out of changing tickets to the matinee (if that was even possible), so unfortunately, won’t be seeing the closing.
I think it’s a huge undertaking and give the folks all credit for “going for it” and pursuing their dreams. Just wish they’d done a bit more homework.
It was a lovely little bit of theater that I’m glad happened. Onward...

Jane
aka Slutember

Postby Jane » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:34 am

Thanks for the recap, Ava!

blondie1310

Postby blondie1310 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:42 am

Constantine on Tour with Postmodern Jukebox:

Constantine News @ConstantineNewz
Get your tickets now to see @ConstantineM on tour with @PMJofficial!! Tix on sale here: http://pmjtour.com

@broadwaycom
Tony nominee @ConstantineM is going on tour with Postmodern Jukebox: http://bit.ly/2ERDuDg

Vonzell Solomon‏ @VonzellSolomon
Excited to hit the road with my @PMJofficial fam again! Sharing the stage with my American Idol season 4 fam @ConstantineM !

https://twitter.com/VonzellSolomon/stat ... 5292933120
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Let's Talk Greekboy”